Threatened Species Strategy
The Threatened Species Strategy outlines a bold new and action-based approach to protecting and recovering our nation's threatened plants and animals.
This Strategy sets out a road-map and highlights how our approach of science, action and partnership can be used to achieve the long-term goal of reversing species declines and supporting species recovery.
Key action areas that are priorities for the Australian Government are:
- Tackling feral cats
- Safe havens for species most at risk
- Improving habitat
- Emergency intervention to avert extinctions
Targets to measure success are:
- 2 million feral cats culled by 2020
- 20 threatened mammals improving by 2020
- 20 threatened birds improving by 2020
- Protecting Australia’s plants
- Improving recovery guidance